The dentist offers all kinds of dental services that should address the specific needs of patients. Dental services are categorized into different discipline and each of these procedures is either aimed at the prevention, correction and treatment of a disease condition. When a patient comes to his dentist seeking for a solution for his problem, the dentist makes a close assessment of the given case so that an appropriate treatment may be offered.
The dental services you receive will be based on your necessity. When you are given an appointment to see your dentist, his team prepares the treatment room in order to receive you and it should be your goal to prepare yourself, as well. You have to be physically and mentally prepared for the procedure so that it may proceed as planned and so that success can be guaranteed. Here are some preparatory advises you can use with regards to the type of dental services that you are meant to receive:
- Tooth Extraction and Dental Surgery: A tooth extraction may be simple or complicated, depending on the position the tooth assumes in the jaw. A tooth that emerged normally in the mouth may be removed simply, especially when it is rather intact and not brittle. An impacted tooth is going to be a different thing. The tooth is embedded under soft tissue and bone so removing it will be more difficult. When you are seeing your dentist for a tooth extraction, note that a dental anesthetic will be used so any allergies should be declared as well as the presence of medical conditions that may affect the outcome of the procedure. Often a medical clearance should be secured from the physician, for either a tooth extraction or a dental surgery. The patient should be declared fit for the procedure before he undergoes treatment.
- Root Canal Procedure: A root canal procedure may be performed on any tooth, as long as the roots are intact and it is stable within the bone. Instead of losing a tooth from extraction, a root canal treatment can be given to save the tooth and this involves the removal of the pulp tissue. It could be quite lengthy and may require multiple visits, depending on the complication of the procedure; and since anesthesia will be used, make sure to declare the presence of allergies, to prevent them from being a problem.
- Teeth Whitening Procedure: A teeth whitening procedure involves the bleaching of the teeth surface to give the patient a whiter and brighter smile. During a teeth whitening procedure, the pores of the teeth are opened rendering the tooth more sensitive. To counter this, make sure to dose yourself of an analgesic, so that you can have a more comfortable time on the chair. Note that the intake of colored food and drinks will be prohibited to make sure to schedule your treatment when you do not have a party or function to attend to, where food choice is going to be a big problem.
- Dental Implants: If you are going to get dental implants, antibiotic therapy is going to be crucial especially for patients with an underlying medical condition. Declaring allergies, medical conditions will be important; and securing a medical clearance will also be needed. Note that the success of dental implants relies on its fusion with the bone and osseintegration takes time. This will mean that you may need to endure a long wait, spanning for months up to a year. This will require multiple monitoring visits in monthly or bi-monthly setups.
- Dental Radiographs: A dental radiograph is prescribed to provide a definitive diagnosis of a dental condition. If you are pregnant, you will need extra protection for the growing fetus because radiation may affect its development in your womb.